Saturday, November 14, 2009

Can My Baby Really Be Four?

As cliche as it sounds, I really can't believe that Gwen is already four years old. I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that she's not a toddler and has somehow transformed into a sweet little girl. I'm so blessed to be her mommy and am grateful that she's healthy and happy.

We took her to her well child check-up, and as always, her doctor told me that she is perfect and that I'm doing a great job. Here are her stats...

Height: 38 inches (14%)
Weight: 30 lbs (10%)
BMI: 28

Last year she was 15% for height and 25% for weight. Her weight gain little slow this year, but with the Bean genes, she seems destined to be petite.

These past four years, I have often caught myself saying, "This is my favorite age". The truth is, I've treasured all of Gwen's stages and I'm looking forward to repeating the same experiences with Fiona. Anyway, like all of the previous years, four is my favorite age.

Here are just a few reason's why I love my sweet four year old...

1. I love how Gwen is so enthusiastic about art. Whether we are painting, working with clay, or just coloring in a book, she is on board! We usually make homemade cards for people. When we buy one at the store, they are never good enough for her and she jazzes them up by adding extra drawings and stickers. Here is a card we got for Grandma Bean...


My favorite part of the card is the picture she drew of her dog, Winnie...

Another one of my favorite pieces of art by Gwen is a coloring page of someone being baptized and confirmed. She said she couldn't see their eyes, so she glued googly eyes on them...



Gwen also expresses her creativity through her use of hair bows...

Gwen also loves stickers. She is only allowed to put them on paper or on herself.


Although sometimes she goes overboard with the body stickers...

2. I love how much Gwen loves music. Her latest love is Shakira, which she accidentally stumbled upon and now begs for it constantly. She also loves the Wiggles and pretty much any children's musician or group.

3. I love checking on Gwen when she is sleeping. She always looks so peaceful and innocent. There is often proof in her room that she did quite a bit of playing before going to sleep. She loves to put all of her animals to bed and change her clothes while she should be sleeping. One time she made a trail out of torn up pieces of toilet paper leading from the door to her bed...


One of her many costume changes...


4. I love how brave Gwen is. She isn't quite as coordinated as some kids her age. Nor is she a daredevil. Doing things like riding her scooter or her bike makes her a little apprehensive. Nonetheless, she tries her hardest. She's really improving on her bike!


5. I love how Gwen likes to surprise us by doing nice things for us. Lately she has been sneaking upstairs and cleaning the playroom without being asked. The other day she brought me a drink of water because she said I looked thirsty. When I ask her why she does these things, she says it's because it makes me happy. I also think it makes her feel like a big girl.

6. Speaking of big girls...I love how Gwen does all these cute little things that make her seem so grown up.

7. I love Gwen's eating habits. Although she would be happy to only eat pancakes, peanut butter and jelly, and macaroni and cheese, she has a pretty well-rounded palate. She will try just about anything once, and will eat things she doesn't like with only minor complaining. She's also starting to enjoy raw veggies more and always gobbles up fresh fruit.

8. I (usually) love Gwen's endless energy. She loves to run around the house, wrestle with Daddy, and jump on the bed...

9. I love how Gwen is sensitive to other people's feelings. When someone is sad or hurt, she always wants to know what's wrong. She will give them a pat or a hug to help them feel better.
10. I love how Gwen will say, "I love you" out of the blue.
11. I love Gwen's imagination. She is constantly pretending to be another person or an animal. Lately she has been Grandma J, her cousin Rebekah, Rudolph, or a llama.
12. I love how Gwen loves taking baths and will entertain herself in the tub for hours if I let her.

13. I love how much Gwen loves Fiona. She wants to help feed her, change her diaper, and will even sometimes sit on the floor in Fiona's room while I rock her to sleep. She tries to soothe her when she cries and is quick to throw away a diaper for me or get her a blanket if she is cold. Gwen can make Fiona laugh and smile more easily than the rest of us and gets a little put out when she smiles at somebody besides her. She will say, "Give me those smiles!"


14. I love how Gwen is so cooperative. She wants to obey and does what she is asked with little or no complaint. She is even patient to pose for photo after photo...


15. I love Gwen's big blue eyes.


16. I love Gwen because she is silly and funny. She loves to tell me made up knock-knock jokes. Her sweet laugh is contagious.
17. I love Gwen because she is mine.

No comments: