Sunday, November 8, 2009

Blueberries Galore!

Thanks to all the fresh blueberries, alot of calories were consumed in the Bean home in early September. Actually, I think I did most of the eating. Here are a few of my favorite blueberry recipes (all of which I adapted from allrecipes.com unless otherwise noted)...
Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3rds full, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping (note this makes almost double what you need!): Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
Sometimes instead of putting the crumb topping on the muffins, I will do a cream cheese frosting. I might like this method even better.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (sometimes I do a little less sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
I also made this recipe several times when I was craving something tasty but was too lazy to do something fancy...

East Batter Fruit Cobbler

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 cups of sliced fresh peaches or nectarines, or whole blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or a combination of fruits (or a 12-ounce package of frozen berries)
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, and heat oven to 350 degrees.
Put butter in an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan; set in oven to melt. When butter has melted, remove pan from oven.

Whisk flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Add milk; whisk to form a smooth batter. Pour batter into pan, then scatter fruit over batter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tb. of sugar.

Bake until batter browns and fruit bubbles, 50 to 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
With my last batch of blueberries, I decided to make a pie. I've never made a blueberry pie, or even a pie with a lattice top, so it was fun to try. Here is the recipe I used...

Blueberry Pie

Ingredients:
3/4 cup white sugar (I would do more if your berries aren't sweet- mine was a little tart)
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt 1
/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries and stir gently to combine

Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips, and make lattice top.

Crimp and flute edges.

Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
I used my mom's awesome recipe for the pie crust, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out right now.
The only thing I took photos of was the pie. The others were all eaten way too quickly!



Since I had a little bit of pie filling left and also some leftover pie dough, I made a few little "Pies in a Jar" which I found here.

It's basically the same as making a pie, you just stuff it all in a jar and bake it for less time. They are also darn cute!





1 comment:

Teri said...

Oh my goodness, your blueberry pie is making me salivate!! You know I'm a sucker for recipes. I love desserts, but that Italian salad you just posted looks really good! Thanks for sharing!