A few days after Rick and I had our "DTR", we went on our first real date. It was so official, that it felt awkward for me. The other dates I had been on were low pressure, but this one felt like there were expectations attached to it because Rick and I already had admitted that we liked each other. Once we decided to go on a date, it almost felt like there was no turning back.
We went to a really nice restaurant, Magleby's. I was a little embarrassed to be in such a nice place with Rick because he was dressed in a flannel and a baseball cap. Rick might have been a little anxious too because he kept laughing nervously and was almost rocking in his seat like a mentally challenged person. I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into.
The low point of the meal was when Rick ordered some type of breaded chicken dish. They brought it to him and when he cut into it, it was completely raw. Not undercooked- just not cooked at all. How do you forget to cook chicken? It actually wasn't obvious because it had the breading on it.
Rick was thoroughly disgusted. He is a little squeamish about meat anyway. But, he couldn't be mad at his server because he was in our ward. He also wanted to keep his cool to impress me. The server felt really bad and gave Rick a plate of shrimp as a consolation. That was nice and all, but Rick hates shrimp. I already ordered shrimp, so we were overflowing with it at this point. They were all out of the chicken dish that Rick originally ordered. I don't think he ended up getting anything else at all. By the time his new meal would have been delivered, I would have been done with mine.
After dinner, we went somewhere, but I'm having trouble remember exactly where. I think it was a school volleyball game, but I'm not sure. I remember all of the other random details of our courtship, but I can't remember our first date. I guess dinner overshadowed whatever happened after.
What I do remember is that Rick held my hand for the first time that night. Once we got back to his apartment after the volleyball game or whatever it was, we eased into our comfortable routine of just hanging out and laughing. I quickly remembered why I liked him so much. I think we might have cuddled a little too.
The next night, Rick and his buddies were hosting a dance party. They were expecting big numbers, so they cleared out all the cars in the parking garage and used that as the party location. The invitation instructed all of the attendees to wear something from DI or another thrift store. We were all looking HOT!
Also, they advertised that the party would have a special guest, Terrell Lyday. Terrell Lyday was the star of the basketball team, so he was a bit of a celebrity at BYU. Rick and the guys thought that if they promised an appearance by Terrell, more people would come. Did it work? Yes. Did Terrell come? No.
Rick and his roommates had just pulled this stunt a semester ago. They had thrown a "Margin Hooks" party in honor of the star of the football team. Again, they promised Margin would appear. Every time the door opened and someone would come in, everybody would yell, "Margin Hooks!?!" I guess people fell for the same trick twice. Although these star athletes didn't come, I do believe they were invited via email, so they whole thing wasn't a complete lie.
Quite a while after these parties occurred, my roommate Jeni, had an opportunity to interview Margin Hooks for the school newspaper. She told him about the party and he wanted someone to throw him another one. Too late- football season was old news.
Anyway, back to the DI party....It was really fun! The reason why I had such a great time was probably due to the fact that Rick and I danced together all night. I was in heaven.
We went to a really nice restaurant, Magleby's. I was a little embarrassed to be in such a nice place with Rick because he was dressed in a flannel and a baseball cap. Rick might have been a little anxious too because he kept laughing nervously and was almost rocking in his seat like a mentally challenged person. I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into.
The low point of the meal was when Rick ordered some type of breaded chicken dish. They brought it to him and when he cut into it, it was completely raw. Not undercooked- just not cooked at all. How do you forget to cook chicken? It actually wasn't obvious because it had the breading on it.
Rick was thoroughly disgusted. He is a little squeamish about meat anyway. But, he couldn't be mad at his server because he was in our ward. He also wanted to keep his cool to impress me. The server felt really bad and gave Rick a plate of shrimp as a consolation. That was nice and all, but Rick hates shrimp. I already ordered shrimp, so we were overflowing with it at this point. They were all out of the chicken dish that Rick originally ordered. I don't think he ended up getting anything else at all. By the time his new meal would have been delivered, I would have been done with mine.
After dinner, we went somewhere, but I'm having trouble remember exactly where. I think it was a school volleyball game, but I'm not sure. I remember all of the other random details of our courtship, but I can't remember our first date. I guess dinner overshadowed whatever happened after.
What I do remember is that Rick held my hand for the first time that night. Once we got back to his apartment after the volleyball game or whatever it was, we eased into our comfortable routine of just hanging out and laughing. I quickly remembered why I liked him so much. I think we might have cuddled a little too.
The next night, Rick and his buddies were hosting a dance party. They were expecting big numbers, so they cleared out all the cars in the parking garage and used that as the party location. The invitation instructed all of the attendees to wear something from DI or another thrift store. We were all looking HOT!
Also, they advertised that the party would have a special guest, Terrell Lyday. Terrell Lyday was the star of the basketball team, so he was a bit of a celebrity at BYU. Rick and the guys thought that if they promised an appearance by Terrell, more people would come. Did it work? Yes. Did Terrell come? No.
Rick and his roommates had just pulled this stunt a semester ago. They had thrown a "Margin Hooks" party in honor of the star of the football team. Again, they promised Margin would appear. Every time the door opened and someone would come in, everybody would yell, "Margin Hooks!?!" I guess people fell for the same trick twice. Although these star athletes didn't come, I do believe they were invited via email, so they whole thing wasn't a complete lie.
Quite a while after these parties occurred, my roommate Jeni, had an opportunity to interview Margin Hooks for the school newspaper. She told him about the party and he wanted someone to throw him another one. Too late- football season was old news.
Anyway, back to the DI party....It was really fun! The reason why I had such a great time was probably due to the fact that Rick and I danced together all night. I was in heaven.
Looking smooth in DI clothes

Me, and my roommate Alicia and Kristen. I don't know where Jeni was..

After the dance was over, Rick and I went back to my apartment. We stayed up really late and I spilled ketchup all over my shirt. We cuddled for a long time. At one point, I was chewing on a piece of gum and Rick asked if he could have some. I stuck part of it out of my mouth and said "Come and get it." He did. We kissed for a long time after that.
So much for taking things slow...
>



5 comments:
I'm so enjoying your posts because some of this stuff I either didn't remember or didn't know due to me being so completely in la la land during those months. It's such a good idea to record all this stuff. I wonder what I would remember of our story? Fun stuff!
That is so funny. Bryant and I were completely awkward after we decided we were going to get married. We decided over the phone because he was in Michigan and I was in Utah. We were just buddies too. It only took about half a day to get over it for us. Thanks for sharing. I think I might post about some of Bryant and I's dates.
i love the pics of you guys... all this "our story" coverage is GREAT! how wonderful for gwen to have your story recorded too. i hope your kissing was open mouthed... cause that's the only way to roll! you guys were made for each other.
You guys have a fun story! Of course. Totally grossed out about the gum thing but tht important thing is that he wasn't. :)
It is so fun reading the stories about you and Rick. Your best times were mostly at BYU I think. I'm relieved to learn you young people forget stuff too sometimes, but I DO remember my first date with your Dad.
He invited me to a church young adult event where we played a game of pantomime, and then he treated me to ice cream at Farrell's, in Bellevue. The next night we decorated the church for the Gold and Green Ball, and ate at Jack's Fish & Chips in Renton. Friday he worked (at Farrell's), and Saturday we went to the Ball. We were pretty much madly in love by then.
After Dad got home from boot camp, I was invited to go camping with his family at Mount Baker. This is where he asked me to marry him. Oh, and Grandpa discovered us making-out in the tall grass next to the lake. It was funny, because we think he saw us, backed off and called, "Rebel," the family dog -- pretending he didn't see us, but at the same time, letting us know he was nearby.
Post a Comment