Just before leaving for the hospital. 

A while after we were settled in our room, one of the nurses commented that I was being induced because of preeclampsia. I corrected her and said that I had ICP. She said, "Well, now you have preeclampsia too." Surprise!
I will just say that it was a tough morning for me. They gave me meds that made me feel downright nasty. Add that with contractions and you have pure misery.
The contractions soon became more than I could tolerate. I asked to get my epidural started pretty early on because I'm a pansy. This turned out to be a good decision because it took the anesthesiologist EIGHT tries to get the darn thing in right. He would either hit a vein, numb just my legs, numb just my right side, numb just my left side, etc. There was about a 20 minute wait time between each attempt to see if the meds would kick in, so the whole process took around 3.5 hours. If you think I am exaggerating, I have proof. Here is my back with 8 holes in it. Count em...

You may think that most women would opt to go au natural rather than endure several hours of poking all while having painful contractions. Plus, the thought of multiple needles in the spinal column might have some fearing for paralysis. Not me. I wasn't enjoying the contractions and I was willing to do just about anything to make the pain stop.
Eventually, on the eighth attempt, I finally experienced some relief from my contractions. I could still feel them, but it was nothing like before. Perfect.
It seemed like as soon as the epidural was in, it was time for pushing, but I think we had about an hour of downtime before the action began. Rick says the pushing part took about 50 minutes, but it felt like only 10-15 minutes to me. I would have never guessed that time flies while you are pushing a baby out.
At 7:42 PM, Gwendolyn Rose Bean made her debut. I thought she was beautiful and perfect in every way.
Gwen's very first photo
Looking back, I realize that her face was a little swollen. At the time, I was so smitted with her, that I didn't even notice.
Puffy face

By the next morning, she was already looking better

The first night I couldn't sleep at all. I was in complete awe of Gwen and couldn't believe that she was finally here. I held her in my arms and admired her the entire night.
Maybe I'm weird, but I loved our stay at the hospital. It was so nice to not have anything to do except bond with Gwen. I also really appreciated all of the help and advice from the nurses. They had to push me out the door when it was time to go home.
Although the experience wasn't entirely easy, it was absolutely worth all of the pain and discomfort I endured. For a few weeks after the delivery, I swore I would never to do it again. Time has a sneaky way of making you forget the unpleasantness and childbirth and somehow emphasizes all the great moments. Even though I know I was miserable during labor (heck, and the last month of my pregnancy), I still look back on it as an amazing day that I would relive it again if it meant having another perfect little angel like my sweet Gwen.
These last three years with Gwen have been the most fulfilling of my life. Being Gwen's mom makes me totally and completely happy- plain and simple. She continually amazes me and I could watch her all day because everything she does is either brilliant, hilarious, or adorable. Gwen sometimes asks me what I want to be when I grow up, and my answer is always, a mommy. There is nothing else that can bring me more joy than being with Gwen.
Gwen... Happy Birthday! I love you SO much!






8 comments:
Happy Birthday Gwen! You are a sweetie!
Yeah, Happy Birthday Gwen!!!!
cute gwen! what a beautiful post to your gorgeous baby girl.
Happy Birthday to Gwen and yes I agree she is amazing! Keep up the good mommy work Anna Marie. We love you guys.
Happy Birthday Gween Bean! :) I'm really glad your mommy went through all that pain to bring you into the world so you can adore Conor (and me from time to time...) We love you Gwen, happy birthday! (We love you too Anna Marie! And Rictum, you smell!)
Awwwwww!!! That was so nice. I love Gwen and am so grateful she's a part of our family. :-D
We often sit behind you guys at church and I love to watch how "smitten" you are by Gwen. Today I watched her give you kisses all over your face and the sweet way you guys look at each other...it's entertaining, can you tell?..She is a lucky little girl to have a mommy who adores her to the core. Happy Birthday Gwen!
What a fun tribute! I am amazed you can remember the whole experience 3 years later. Mine are mostly a blur. I had to write it down the week after so I wouldn't forget. The only time I remember is when I read through them. Gwen is super cute.
Post a Comment