Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Big Girl Bed

The night before Gwen's birthday, she got to sleep in a big girl bed for the first time. I wasn't quite ready for this milestone, only because she is growing up too fast! I was pretty sure she was ready for it, even though she has loved her crib so much. She has never tried to get out of it. In fact, she often has tried to get in it. Even in the middle of the day, she often loved just chilling in her crib.

The first night, Gwen did great. She was a little nervous about being alone, so I cuddled with her for quite a while before I left her. She also woke up once in the middle of the night, and I slept with her again for about 2 hours. I actually didn't mind at all. There seems to be more room for Gwen and me in her twin bed than there is for the 3 of us in our queen bed.

We decided to put up a bed rail for her. Although the bed is really low, she moves around a ton when she sleeps. Apparently, Gwen moves too much. After a day or two, she managed to fall out of bed, even with the rail up. We weren't sure how she managed that. The next night I went to peek on her and she was curled up in a tight ball at the end of her bed, right in front of the opening. Since then, we have kept a pillow blocking the opening at the end of the bed.

One thing I worried about was Gwen not staying in bed now that there is nothing to trap her in. This hasn't been an issue at all. She has never once attempted to get out of bed. When she wakes up in the morning or after a nap, she waits patiently in bed for me to come in get her. She has always been very content just to hang in her crib, so it shouldn't be too surprising that she likes being in her bed too.


Now all we need to do is buy some cute little girl bedding for her. I've looked everywhere for something I like. Don't think I'm exaggerating- I've looking everywhere. Macy's, JcPenney, Sears, Target, Fred Meyer, Costco Home, Bed Bath and Beyond, Linens and Things, Ross and TJ Max. I've also done a lot of online looking around... Pottery Barn Kids, Pottery Barn Teen, Land of Nod, Lands End Kids and a whole bunch of random websites that I've never heard of. Can anyone suggest anyplace I've missed? Is it possible that I'm too picky?

My little girl isn't a baby anymore!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I found Hannah and Abby's bedding at Ikea. I'm not into super girly. Not only did they have a pattern I love (which they no longer make), but it was super cheap! It's nice not to have to spend a lot on bedding when they are still young enough to have nighttime accidents.

Kedra Simpson said...

Way to go on the big girl bed Gwen!! Oh, and you take the cutest pics of her...so is so adorable. I was just reading some of your other posts, so fun!

AMB said...

Oh I forgot to add Ikea to the list. Looked there too! I think I need to start over!

The Kovar Family said...

What a cute bed for Gwen! I also had a hard time finding bedding for Charlie. I looked in all the places you listed... I'm not sure if you had Amazon on your list? I did find a couple of sets there that I didn't see elsewhere. In the end, I didn't love any of it... so I settled on a set from Target. My reasoning was that, if I wasn't going to love it, I at least wanted it to be easy to accessorize it.

athompson said...

you are so lucky it was such an easy transition. Sloan is still in her crib, because she won't stay in her bed. As far as somewhere to find bedding, I have no suggestions for you, you have looked at all of the good spots. good luck!

Sarah said...

Kohl's? We have one here in town.

kabeaner said...

I love that Gwen goes through all these stages not too long before Max does so that I can learn from your fresh experiences! I'm still contemplating that potty training stuff. Soon. BTW, when am I going to make it back on your favorite blogs list? Or should I take the absence as a hint?

kabeaner said...

Come on! Conor's blog is on the list!

Cheryl said...

Ooh Kari - looks like someone is JEALOUS! :)