I finally decided to grant this wish and took her to Central Market to pick out a crab. I was a little unsure about this because she's never eaten anything that resembles an animal. It's hard to tell whether she understands that meat comes from an animal.
At the market, a nice employee took a crab out of the tank an let Gwen touch it. After seeing it's huge claws and grumpy disposition, I decided to buy a crab that had already been cooked.

I let Gwen pick out a cooked crab and they wrapped it up for us to take home. She was really excited. She kept saying how happy the crab was that we were going to take him home. That made me feel a little bad. I was beginning to wonder if this was a good idea or not.
All the way home, Gwen kept talking about how the crabs were happy because the man at Central Market was going to take them back to the beach. She also mentioned several times that she was going to eat the crab all gone.
At home, Gwen helped me set the table and get everything ready for our meal. We melted butter and cut lemon wedges to eat with the crab.
As I cracked in to the crab, Gwen asked me why I was breaking it. She wasn't upset about it, just curious. Still, I felt like a barbarian for ripping apart a crab in front of my daugther. Gwen eagerly took a bite of the crab meat, and guess what? It came right back out. She didn't like it at all! What a funny girl! 



4 comments:
I like that she is willing to try just about any food. I wonder how Gwen would have reacted if you had brought a live crab home and "killed" it? Perhaps you made the right choice in the end.
Mumsie xoxox
That story is so funny!! Gwen is such a little cutie. At least she wasn't tramatized. Good for her for giving it a try.
I love all your berch bay posts, looks like you had a great time.
Hahahahaha!!!! She is so funny!
I love this. It is stories like this that make me want my boys to hurry and grow up so I can tell them all about it and have them laugh with me. I know it will happen all too soon anyhow.
Post a Comment