As the day approached, I started to panic, realizing the whole thing might be really difficult- especially not knowing how Gwen would react her to first dental experience. Fortunately, my awesome mom came up and joined us on our little adventure. She was able to take care of Fiona while I sat with Gwen.
As it turns out, Gwen was a champ, totally cooperative and thought the whole thing was awesome. You would have thought we brought her to Disneyland. Actually, the hygienists did remind me of Disney princesses with their high, sing-songy voices and their funny words for everything. My favorite was "sugar bugs".
When Gwen met with the dentist, he asked if she used a pacifier. Ugh! I cringed and said that she just stopped using one at night. He said that she has a crooked bite and that he might need to put a spacer in her jaw- or maybe not. He might just need to file down her canine teeth. He said we gave up the binky in the "nick of time" and in all of his year of practice, this is the closest call he's ever seen. I pretty much felt like the worst mom in the world- for a moment. Then I was over it. It is what it is.
Gwen loved watching Dora while getting her teeth cleaned
Showing off her clean pearly whites
After her appointment, she kept asking when she could come back. Not until December! It will give her something to look forward to.
As a special reward for doing so great at the dentist, she got to go home with Grandma J to spend the night, I was so appreciative to my mom for taking her, but I was surprised how much I missed her. No matter how big she gets, Gwen will always be my baby.



2 comments:
Great job Gwen! Afty screamed through her first dentist appointment. I'm dreading the next one. :)
Aren't you so glad you didn't listen to me about the whole pacifier thing? None of my kids have ever liked a pacifier...
Post a Comment