I was grateful that Gwen's birthday was on a Saturday. Since the next day was Sunday, were able to have a somewhat relaxing day so that we were well-rested for the upcoming week: Moving Week.
Sunday was our last day at church. That was a hard day for me. I hated saying goodbye to all the ward members who had become like family to us. Later, we went to Bob and Cathy's for dinner where we had to say goodbye to Jeff and Krissy's family. By the end of the day, I was done with saying goodbye.
Monday was a crazy day. The packers were scheduled to come the next day and there was tons to do to prepare. We took everything off the walls and then patched and painted all the nail holes. We also had to do some major organizing to make sure the movers packed things in a way that made sense. Thankfully, some more experienced friends told me that if we left a stray shoe in the bathroom, it would be packed with the toiletries. Not that we ever have stray shoes laying around.
We also had to pack everything we would need for the next 9 days that we would be living out of a suitcase. Although we could have stayed in our house a couple more days, once that packing began, we figured it would be easier to stay somewhere else. Also, we couldn't be in our new house until the 8th, so we would also be staying in a hotel for a couple nights.
We were really, really glad that we arranged for both of our moms to come and help for the day. Although we originally felt like we could get everything done somewhat quickly, we soon realized we were wrong!
Even with our Moms' help, we were still up until after midnight trying to prep the house. We went to bed too tired to feel sad that it was our last night in the house.
We woke up early in the morning the next day (Tuesday) and brought the girl's to Bob and Cathy's house. We got our rooms set up there and I went back to the house to meet up with the packers.
I spent the day supervising and taking care of business on my laptop. We snuck away briefly to take Fiona to her 15 month check up. (More on that later).
I ended up waiting too long to eat my lunch. My cutlery was packed and I had to eat my frozen meal with a straw. Luckily it was penne, so it wasn't too hard to manage.
The packers didn't finish that night until almost 8pm. I called Rick and let them know they were done so he could pick me up (his car was already in Colorado, so we were a one car family).
While I waited, I sat on the rocking chair in Fiona's room in the dark. It just looked too weird with the lights on... all empty and except for boxes everywhere. I cried as I thought of all the nights sitting there in the dark with her in my arms. I felt like I was leaving all the memories behind in that room and that all those precious nights would be lost there.
As Rick pulled up, I slowly made my out of my home. It was a strange feeling that I wouldn't be living there anymore.
Getting Older
4 months ago



No comments:
Post a Comment