Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Sweet Funny Girl

Poor, sweet Gwen has pneumonia. It came on very suddenly and I've never seen her so sick. She has a terrible cough, a 103+ fever, and when her temperature is high, her heart pounds at 150 bpm.

She is more fatigued I've ever seen her. She has napped two days in a row. She hasn't taken a nap in over a year! It took me a long time to get her to wake up yesterday. She would wake up, talk to me for a few minutes, and then fall back asleep.

When I took her to the doctor this morning, they did an oxygen saturation test which measures how much oxygen is getting to her blood. She scored 92%. The doctor told me that a few years back they would have hospitalized her for anything less than 93%. While at the doctor, Gwen's fever was down- thanks so the advil I had given her, but the doctor was concerned that her resting heart rate was still elevated at 110 bpm.

I was glad to get Gwen home, give her a dose of the antibiotics and set up a comfy spot for her to rest on the cough. Unfortunately, something wasn't sitting well with her and she vomited after a while. I'm not sure whether it was from the meds or all the coughing. We will find out tomorrow when it's time for another dose.

On a side note, a few things fell victim to Gwen's vomit episode today. Her hair, her clothes, my clothes, the couch and a comforter. We got Gwen bathed, cleaned up the couch, and got Gwen down rom a nap. Just as she fell asleep, Fiona was waking up. I went into her room to find that an eruption had taken place in Fiona's diaper. It was a grand mess that that got on her clothes, her bedding, her changing table, and of course, Fiona. I was glad I hadn't gotten around to starting the washer earlier since there was more to add to the load! Now the bathtub really needs to be washed now that both of the girls have used it today.

I will continue to worry about Gwen and continue to dote on her as much as possible. It just makes me heart ache to see her so sick. I'm spoiling her by letting her watch as many movies as she wants and carrying her around the house whenever I have the opportunity.

In the meantime, I'm the mood to reflect on how funny and cute she is. Here are some examples of her extreme adorableness...

One day at the end of quiet time, I came into her room and found this makeshift "chain" connecting her bed to her dresser. I have no idea what she was trying to do, but it made me laugh.


On another morning I came into her room (daddy let me sleep in a little) and she had set up a "jungle" in her bedroom. She brought in anything that even remotely related to a jungle (toys, green things, blankets with trees on it) and packed a bag for her adventure. She even made a map so she could find the way. She also had the rainforest sounds going on her sound machine all day, so it almost did seem like we were in the jungle.





Gwen loves to dress up. One of her favorite things are trains, so I will often find her in her engineer hat and scarf. She also seemed to think the shirt, shorts, and shoes were appropriate for an engineer on this particular day. I'm not one to argue with her.


Gwen also LOVES to be Mary so she can take care of baby Jesus. One day as quiet time was ending, I could hear calling me from her room. I opened the door and found her waiting for me like this...


If that isn't cute, then I don't know what is.
I'm hoping that my little angel recovers quickly so that she can go back to utilizing her amazing imagination to her heart's content.

6 comments:

Lisita said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear she is sick. Poor Gwen!

Penny said...

Sure hope she begins to feel better today. Even the tiniest bit would be hopeful. xoxo

Sarah said...

Ugh! That sounds so miserable. Please let me know if you need anything.

Susan M said...

Poor thing! Hope she's better soon. I don't miss the days of vomit and diaper explosions. :)

That pic of her as Mary is hilarious.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Sick kids are no fun! Hope Gwen gets back to 100% soon!

Theresa Walker said...

Hope Gwen is feeling better soon. Hope you can get some rest too.