Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our Valentine's Day

On Valentine's Day morning, I let Rick sleep in- which is a rarity. Usually it works the other way around. While he slept, I went about my business of preparing some delicious cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Did I make them completely from scratch? Maybe, maybe not. The red sprinkles made them so festive!

Then we did something we've never done before. When we sat down to eat, we let Gwen have an ENTIRE cinnamon roll. These babies were seriously almost as big as her head. Gwen is pretty good at pacing herself and knows when enough is enough, so I didn't think she would eat the whole thing. I was wrong- she did! Somehow, she got through it unfazed.





After breakfast, Rick took Gwen out for a 3 hour daddy-daughter date. They went to several stores to by Valentine things and he also took her out to lunch. I got a nice long nap!

When they got home, Gwen was so excited. She wanted to immediately present me with a cake she picked out for me at the store. She had me sit on the couch while she brought it in. For the record, my fashion challenged husband is responsible for Gwen's ensemble.


Somehow, we all went overboard on gifts this time around. Rick got Gwen a make-your-own-volcano kit. I got her tickets to the Thomas and Friends Live show. Gwen got Rick a chocolate heart and I got him caller-ID. (Nothing says I love you like never having to talk to your mother-in-law again. Ha- Just kidding, Mom!) Rick and Gwen got me chocolate- which I promptly ate and a gift certificate for a massage. I can't wait to use that one!


Rick was coming down with a cold, so I let him go take a nap while Gwen and I decorated cookies that Grandma & Grandpa Bean delivered. They love to bring us plain sugars cookies, frosting, and toppings for decorating. So fun! I was in charge of the frosting and Gwen was in charge of the M&M's and sprinkles.




Gwen was allowed to eat one cookie. After she ate the toppings off, she somehow convinced me that her cookie needed whipped cream on it.


Once Gwen was in bed for the night, Rick and I had our own little celebration. We made artichokes (my all time favorite) as well as fondue with bread and apples for dipping.


After we ate, we watched the movie, "Fireproof". It was totally cheesy but had a great message. It was great to spend the day with the two people I love the most!

4 comments:

Penny said...

I'm never talking to "either" of you again. I have caller ID too, you know!

I'm in a hurry to see Dad off to work, so I'll come back and watch the videos. I'm sure they are darling.

Sarah said...

I don't understand the last line. I don't remember spending Valentine's Day with you.

Cheryl said...

It should have been the 3 people you love the most! Me and my lame old trip to North Carolina!!! Thanks again for inviting me to be a third wheel again, sorry I missed it - it looked like a blast.

Could you ask Gwen to stop growing up - holy cow!!! She's so cute!

Lisita said...

What a cute V-day!