My very first car was a 1991 Nissan NX 2000 (aka: White Lightning). I bought her the summer of 1997, right after I graduated from Rick's College.
My dad did a lot of car shopping with me, and was there when I first fell in love with this same car in red. It caught on fire while my dad was test driving it. I remember him calling me from the dealership and telling me what happened. My response: "So does that mean I can't get it?"
I was really excited when we found another NX 2000 for sale in white. Fortunately, this test drive was uneventful and we brought her home. (Thanks for the help picking her out, Dad!)

It took a while to get used to the stick. I worked at the bottom of a really big hill. I was too scared to drive up the hill, so I used to go way out of the way to get home. For those that know the area, I worked just off 180th in Tukwila. Instead of driving up 180th and basically making a straight shot to my parents, I drove through downtown Renton and went up Maple Valley Hwy, all the way to Petrovisky Road in Maple Valley. The commute took 3 times longer than it normally would. Rick learned how to drive a stick on White Lightning too.
This gem was really the best car ever. It took several trips back and forth between Utah and Washington. It also went on some sweet road trips. We made excellent time on our roadtrips. Proof:
(Mom, don't look at this photo)
Yesterday, after 11 years of wonderful companionship (and 130,000 miles), we finally sold her to a nice young man fresh off of his mission. He promised to take good care of her. I can't help feeling like a traitor. It has been so great to have such a reliable car after so many years, but a two-seater just isn't realistic when you have a family.
This is what I will miss most...
1. The way the trunk didn't stay open. It was exhilirating to risk decapitation everytime I loaded the trunk full of groceries.
2. Admiring my disco ball that hung from the rearview mirror. When the sun hit it, it really sparkled.
3. Taking her through the car wash and getting sprayed in the face with water if a stream hit the driver's side door just right. Apparently the seal was broken.
4. Not being able to unlock the passenger side door with my key. It saved me the inconvenience of being courteous to passengers waiting to get in.
5. Making out in the back while at the drive-in. Once the seats were folded down, it was quite roomy. I guess it's been a while since we've done this. We're getting old.
6. Not having a car payment. This gal has been paid off since 2001.
7. Knowing that my arrival would be announced 2 minutes ahead of time because the motor was so loud.
8. The way the seats hugged you while you drove. (Rick and my Dad both liked this)
I took these photos right after I took her on our last ride...






7 comments:
Sweet ride.
What a wonderful tribute to such a faithful companion. So many hours on side-streets, frontage roads, back roads, drive-ins?, highways, freeways, in parking lots, driveways, and other places I don't want to know about. I'm glad she was passed along to a wholesome returned missionary. What a great way for White Lightening to live out her remaining years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, or seconds. She will be missed.
(You and Dad and your speedometers are irksome, but I love you both.)
Mommy Dearest
I hope that you feel consoled by your Matrix during this difficult time of loss.
I would miss the decapitation feature the most. I love a good brush with death
Thats a good way to say good bye. My faithful car of 10 years had a much more tragic ending. I t-boned some poor guy during finals week and obliterated it.
Oh, I remember that car! Especially the disco ball hanging from your mirror. My first car was nissan sentra, 3 years ago we donated it to the kidney foundation because the engine died. It was kinda sad when they towed it away!
Ohhhhh!!! A car post! I was thinking about blogging about my latest car, The Screaming Banshee, AKA Deddigan. Cars are great blog fodder, doncha think?
Ah, we love/hate (sometimes) our cars.
Post a Comment