Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Mom Is Da Bomb!

Ever since Mother's Day, it's been on my to-do list to write a post about my mom. Why? Because she is the best mom EVER!

My my rocks because...

1. She is so creative and artistic. She paints, sews, crochets, knits, and does whatever other wacky things come to mind. When I was young, she always made me the best Halloween costumes. She made me into a box of Nestle Quik with just some paints and a cardboard box...

She makes these adorable Christmas Ornaments out of tampons... She made this guy out of paper mache'
2. She takes awesome pictures. Sometimes she photographs lame things, like hummingbirds (I totally razz her for this), but usually they are of the grandkids. I don't have many of photos of her because she is usually the woman behind the camera. Case in point...


3. She loves her family so much and always puts them first. Right after Gwen was born, I had a hard time. She didn't hestitate to pack her overnight back and come spend the night when I told her I needed her.



4. She loves to learn about her family history. It's cute how she gets so excited when she finds something new. This photo below was taken a couple years ago at a cemetary in Edmonds. She was really exicited to find the graves of these ancestors. Admittedly, I have no idea who they are...


5. She's always up for adventure. It's very easy to talk her into things. When Gwen was nine months, the three of us went to NYC for a wedding. We had a blast! Here we are at the NYC temple...


6. She never goes anywhere without Emmy Loo, which makes Gwen very happy!

7. My mom is just cool! Although she never neglects her motherly duties, she never forgets what it's like to be young. Growing up, there was never a need to sneak out to TP somebody's house- she was always happy to drive us! She is always excited to get in on pranks and just be goofy. She really got excited about the murder mystery party we threw for my dad. She was a skeleton and I was a warewolf. Of course, she made her costume herself because she's got mad skills....8. My mom is a great cook! Whether the whole fam is coming over, or if there is just a few of us, she always outdoes herself. She works very hard to ensure everything is just right. She makes it a point to accomodate specials diets or tastes. If she knows Rick doesn't like a certain dessert she is making, she will make a separate lemon pie so he will have a treat too. She spoils us!

I love this picture of her and Gwen. In the background, if you look really close, you can see a counter-full of her yummy treats!

9. My mom is seriously babe-a-licious. I'm glad she passed on her great genes to me...


10. Most of all, my mom rocks because she is my friend and is always there to talk to me.

I love you, Mom!

8 comments:

Theresa Walker said...

So sweet!

Penny said...

Thanks for making me cry so early in the morning. What a sweetheart. Funny how others view us as we float through life.

I love you...
Mom

Penny said...

Oh, and the dead people: your maternal great-grandparents. Hannah Elizabeth Clapp and William Rose Frew -- and don't you forget it!

Lisita said...

I loved hearing about your mom. What a fun darling post. I LOVE the picture your mom painted that you used to keep in the bathroom in your apartment. It always made me laugh. I can tell where you get your creativity and good looks! I'm still waiting to hear what the 'got you sumpin' item was. Cute Gwen!!

Susan M said...

I found a hat your mom knitted me (or knitted and gave to me, anyway) when I was cleaning out my closet the other day. One of those fun funky ones she was selling that I made a website for years and years ago. I showed it to my 16yo daughter and she wore it to school the very next day.

Your mom rules.

Greg and Torrey said...

i too have a testimony of your mom... she does so rock! i love you, penny!!!

SeattleSuz said...

Hi, I remember how awesome your mom was when I was a little kid and we used to all go to church together. Tell your mom I said HI! :)
-Suzanne (Stubbert) Holland

Lindsay said...

As you say AM, your Mom is such a very special person - she has been a power of strength and help to me over the years. Hope you don't mind me sneaking into your Blog - (via Penny's).
So many great pics of you guys - I enjoyed them so much. Gwen is just so full of vitality - reminds me so much of grand-daughter, Ailie.
Lindsay