Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Buh-Bye Junk Mail

The amount of junk mail we have been getting has become increasingly annoying. It's time consuming to go through it all to get rid of it. Half it we shred because I don't like putting credit card offers and other things with our names and addresses on it straight in the recycle bin. It also bothers me that we waste so much darn paper. Did you know that average person uses 41 pounds of paper a year? Eek!

So, while perusing Martha Stewart magazine in the lobby at my doctors office the other day, I found an article on how to stop unwanted junk mail from invading your mailbox. It listed several websites where you can register to stop junk mail. Supposedly this can stop up to 80-90% of your junkmail! Best of all, many of these are free! I signed up for a the first two. If it doesn't take care of the problem, I might try a couple more!

Here they are...

optoutprescreen.com - This will stop offers from credit card and insurance companies that get info from the credit bureau.

greendimes.com - This one filters out all sorts of annoying stuff, and they pay you a dollar to sign up. For real. You can either have them actually give you a buck or you can have them use it to plant a tree. Of course I had them plant a tree!

dmachoice.org.mps - With this website you can adjust your preferences according to what you want and what you don't want. (ie, catalogs, coupons, etc) I think this one costs $1 to sign up for 3 years.

41pounds.org - This is the mother of all junk mail filtering options. It costs $41 for 5 years, and they donate 1/3 of that money to the environmental charity of your choice.

Do yourself (and the enviroment) a favor by trying some of these out! I will follow up and tell you my results!

4 comments:

Merimellons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is great. We are tired of it as well, and like you said, it is a waste of paper, or would that be trees?

Thanks for the info. I will for sure do some of these too.

Love ya...
MA

Sarah said...

Ooh! I want a dollar! I like the idea of not getting credit card offers because my sucky mailman won't be giving our offers to our neighbors.

Penny said...

The deleted post was mine. I was logged in with Mariellen's account and it looked like she posted it.

I can't see where comments can be posted for "Gwen" quotes, so I'll do it here.

What is wrong with your hair. Rick's is more obvious. :) She is a funny little girlie.

I hope we can arrive at your place on Saturday early enough to see her, but we might not. Perhaps it would be better not to get her all excited before bedtime?

See you soon.
xoxox ma